Game 100: Angels-Athletics …
Welcome to the start of what could be a season-defining seven-game road trip, with four against the A’s and three against the Rangers …
SP: LH C.J. Wilson (10-6, 3.15 ERA)
SP: RH Dan Straily (6-3, 4.14 ERA)
- In order to create a spot for right-handed reliever J.C. Gutierrez, who was claimed off waivers from the Royals on Wednesday, the Angels designated Billy Buckner for assignment.
- The Angels sent international slot bonus to the Mets in exchange for two Minor Leaguers, outfielder Julio Concepcion and right-hander Andres Perez. Concepcion will be assigned to rookie-level Orem and Perez goes to the Arizona Summer League. The Mets essentially get an extra $360,000 to spend in this international signing period.
- Mike Scioscia, on Joe Blanton‘s role in the bullpen: “There’s no doubt we all feel Joe needed to be taken off that treadmill, he was banging into a wall, and maybe just exhale a little bit. If he throws strikes and has the ability to get strikeouts with his other pitches, we’ll see how his stuff plays out in the bullpen. … We’ll let the flow tell us what his best role would be.”
- Blanton didn’t want to speak to the media today.
- Asked the amount of time Garrett Richards will be in the rotation, Scioscia said it’ll be “start to start.” Jason Vargas‘ return — he still needs some time before starting a rehab assignment — could make things interesting.