Game 97: Twins-Angels …
SP: RH Samuel Deduno (5-4, 3.61 ERA0
SP: RH Joe Blanton (2-12, 5.53 ERA)
- Josh Hamilton was scratched because of a stiff right ankle that Mike Scioscia said “locked up on him” after Sunday’s game. Scioscia didn’t provide detail on how the injury took place, and Hamilton wasn’t available for comment pregame, but the club is hopeful that it’s a day-to-day situation at this point.
- C.J. Wilson, the Angels’ player rep for the MLBPA, was asked about Ryan Braun‘s suspension for the rest of the season and in no way defending his actions, saying: “The guys that are violating it, you hope they get caught, as a player, because they’re playing against you.”
- Here’s more from Wilson: “As a player, the ultimate thing for us is we want the competition to be level. We want a level playing field. The Joint Drug Agreement is in place to protect the integrity of the game, for the players and the fans. … We’ve kind of turned a corner in the industry where it’s not a privacy issue anymore. That was the thing for a lot time. Players didn’t want their privacy violated. But now it’s more about the integrity of the game. It’s frustrating to know that there are people that have played on performance-enhancing substances against us, whether it’s this year, last year, a couple years ago, whatever it is, and gotten away with it for a certain amount of time.”
- Jason Vargas (blood clot in left arm pit area) will see the doctor tomorrow in hopes of getting cleared to throw off the mound. He’s hopeful of returning in two weeks, which would make it six weeks on the DL — the back end of his initial timeline.
- Ernesto Frieri was feeling a little under the weather today, but said he’ll be available to pitch the ninth if needed.