Game 90: Angels-Cubs …
Beautiful day at Wrigley. Angels must now win their next four games to have a winning record by the All-Star break …
- Howie Kendrick — 0-for-his-last-8, 3-for-his-last-25 yet still batting .308 — had the day off Wednesday, only his second this season. Mike Scioscia said his second baseman has been “playing through some things” and wanted to pair today’s day off with the Thursday off-day so he can finish off the first half strong this weekend.
- Tommy Hanson threw a bullpen session for the first time since landing on the disabled list, as scheduled.
- Scoiscia said Jason Vargas, who began his throwing progression on Wednesday, would need to face hitters before returning. Asked if he could return by July 23, the next day the Angels need a fifth starter, Scioscia said they’ll “wait and see.” Hanson could also be back by then.
- Trout and Kendrick are the first Angels teammates with at least 105 hits before the All-Star break since 2000 (Darin Erstad and Mo Vaughn).
- Wilson has a 2.80 ERA over his last seven starts and has held opponents to two runs or less in four of his last five outings.