Game 21: Angels-Mariners …
SP: RH Garrett Richards (1-0, 2.55 ERA)
SP: RH Brandon Maurer (1-3, 7.45 ERA)
- Pujols, in case you didn’t notice, is playing first base today for the first time since April 15. He’s started seven straight games at DH, including nine of his last 10. The plantar fasciitis on his left foot, he said, is no better and no worse. But he doesn’t feel like it would bother him too much playing defense. He hopes to start three of the four games of this series there, then Monday and Tuesday against Oakland.
- Seeking some length in the bullpen, with Michael Roth and Jerome Williams both knocked out, the Angels called up Barry Enright, who has been struggling mightily in Triple-A. He’ll serve as a long reliever.
- Sean Burnett (right forearm) is good to go. He was ready on Wednesday, if needed. But the game got out of hand in a hurry.
- Tommy Hanson is tentatively scheduled to rejoin the team on Monday and start that game — the series opener against the A’s.
- Erick Aybar (left heel) played five innings in extended Spring Training today and will be re-evaluated tomorrow. No word yet on when he can be back.
- Alberto Callaspo has progressed towards during sprints, but his right calf is still bothering him when he moves side to side. He isn’t expected to return from the DL on this road trip.
- Right-handed reliever Elvin Ramirez cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Salt Lake, clearing a spot on the Angels’ 40-man roster (now at 39).