Game 14: Angels-Twins …
Another nice day at Target Field. It isn’t expected to be tomorrow, with 100 percent chance of rain — that’s right, 100 percent! — at night. But hey, one day at a time, right? …
SP: LH Jason Vargas (0-1, 4.76 ERA)
SP: RH Mike Pelfrey (1-1, 7.36 ERA)
- Big step for Ryan Madson today, who threw his third bullpen session with one day in between for the third time and said it’s the “closest I’ve felt to normal.” He’ll face hitters for the first time on Friday, then should go out on a rehab assignment shortly thereafter. He doesn’t see a reason why he wouldn’t be activated off the DL before the end of April. This is the shot in the arm the Angels’ bullpen badly needs.
- Upon being activated, Mike Scioscia said he’d probably ease Madson in for a few outings, before potentially making him the closer. Madson doesn’t care either way. “Ernie [Frieri] is throwing the ball really well,” he said.
- Pelfrey, 29, had Tommy John surgery on May 1, basically three weeks after Madson, and is making his third start of the season. Surgery is always a mixed bag, though.
- Kevin Jepsen‘s MRI on Monday came back normal, but he’s undergoing some follow-ups on Tuesday.
- Alberto Callaspo didn’t end up fielding grounders on Monday, but he’s doing so on Tuesday.