Game 160: Angels-Mariners …
Well, the Angels need a miracle. But, as Mark Trumbo said after last night’s doubleheader split, “It’s a chance.” In order to force a tiebreaker for the second Wild Card spot, the Angels must sweep and the A’s must get swept. If the Rays also sweep, we’d have a three-team tiebreaker scenario, which would really complicate things. Here are the lineups from a gorgeous Monday at Safeco Field …
Pitching: LH C.J. Wilson (12-10, 3.86 ERA)
Pitching: RH Felix Hernandez (13-8, 2.86 ERA)
- Erick Aybar is still feeling tightness in his right quad and won’t be available tonight. Will he be available in any of these last three regular-season games? That’s unknown right now.
- Trout’s jersey is the fifth-highest-selling in the Majors. The top four are: Derek Jeter, Josh Hamilton, Ichiro Suzuki and Bryce Harper. Pujols did not crack the Top 20.
- The Angels and Class A Inland Empire announced a two-year extension, through 2014.
- Hunter enters today batting .313 and is now a lock to hit .300 for the first time in his career — even if he goes 0-for-5 in each of these last three games. He’ll be the oldest (37) to do it for the first time since 1957.
- If there’s anything surprising about Trout’s rookie season it’s that he reached 30 homers — despite missing a month and after totaling only 23 in 286 career Minor League games. Part of that is a somewhat more upright batting stance. Here’s what Mike Scioscia said: “If you saw Mike take batting practice and swing, play in games when he was 17, you saw the potential. He was 17 in Angel Stadium going oppo six, seven rows back like a left-handed pull hitter. I think you were pretty sure that he was going to develop power at some time.”