Game 148: Rangers-Angels …
Angels manager Mike Scioscia will often tell you that he doesn’t look at the standings. “Our focus is in-house,” is one of his favorite cliches. But with 15 games left, a three-game deficit of the Orioles for the second American League Wild Card spot, and no head-to-head games remaining against the teams in front of them (unless you coutn the Rangers, which they have basically no shot at catching), Scioscia can’t say that anymore. “There’s a time it’s relevant [to look at the standings] and there’s a time it’s not relevant,” he said. “It’s relevant now.” …
Pitching: RH Ryan Dempster (6-1, 4.11 ERA)
Pitching: RH Jered Weaver (17-4, 2.74 ERA)
- If you didn’t notice, Albert Pujols isn’t with the team. He stayed back in Kansas City to be with his wife, who had the couple’s fifth child in the wee hours of Sunday morning. “There’s no doubt Albert is where he needs to be, no doubt,” Scioscia said. “I’m speaking for myself. You can ask other people in our organization, but I’m sure we’re all on the same page with that.”
- Maicer Izturis (left ribs) swung a bat in Kansas City on Sunday, took part in pregame activities and the belief is that he’ll be available off the bench today.
- C.J. Wilson is the Angels’ nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award.
- Trout will be on the cover of the next issue of ESPN The Magazine, which hits newsstands Friday.
- Weaver enters tonight one wiin shy of matching his career-high for wins in a season (18) and reaching 100 for his career. In 13 career starts against the Rangers at Angel Stadium, he’s 8-0 with a 2.16 ERA.