Game 104: Angels-Rangers …
Pitching: RH Jered Weaver (13-1, 2.26 ERA)
Pitching: LH Derek Holland (7-5, 4.74 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- The Trade Deadline came and went, and the Angels didn’t add another relief pitcher, though there’s always August. And that’s relevant because …
- Lefty Scott Downs was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain he suffered during his Friday outing, with lefty Hisanori Takahashi being called up to replace him. Downs hopes to return in two weeks, but it could be at least three or four.
- Dan Haren (stiffness in his right side) won’t start on Wednesday after all. Instead, he’ll start Sunday against the White Sox, with Garrett Richards taking the ball against the Rangers on Wednesday.
- Haren, on the Rangers’ acquisition of Ryan Dempster: “I’m sure it’ll help their club, but I think we still like where we stand, and we like our chances that’s for sure.”
- With an opposing lefty on the mound, Kendrys Morales isn’t in the starting lineup — despite becoming the third player in baseball history to hit two homers from the same side of the plate in the same inning on Monday. Here’s what Mike Scioscia said when I asked him: “I think that Kendrys form the right side is swinging the bat as well as we’ve seen him swing the bat, but I think for an important reason of keeping him fresh still, still getting back and used to playing every day after missing some time, and keeping other guys fresh at times, getting a chance where Trumbo to DH and get Vernon out there, I think that’s a lineup we’re going to continue to consider; getting Peter out there. And there are going to be times when Kendrys will hit against left-handed pitching. But I think right now, we’re certainly going to keep him fresh. It’s almost like a natural break you can get sometimes against lefties.”
Some Angels.com links from Monday …
- Ervin Santana, Morales frame things perfectly in rout of Texas
- Kendrys makes history with two-homer inning
- Lyle: AL West race coming down to pitching
- Notebook, on Haren’s side, Maicer Izturis wanting to return, Erick Aybar‘s status, Trumbo’s injury, etc.
- Preview, on the Weaver-Holland matchup
- Question of the Day, on why Santana remains in the rotation
Some AL West links …
And U.S. gymnastics captured the gold.