Game 103: Angels-Rangers …
As expected, it’s over 100 degrees here in Arlington, which means the ball should be flying tonight. That could especially be the case with the struggling Roy Oswalt and Ervin Santana facing off. But then there’s the fact that the Angels haven’t scored a run in 23 straight innings and the Rangers are 0-for-their-last-29 with runners in scoring position. Something’s gotta give, right? Angels come into this four-game set five games back in the AL West and are 5-4 against the Rangers this season.
Pitching: RH Santana (4-10, 6.00 ERA)
Pitching: RH Oswalt (3-1, 5.22 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Back problems continue to plague Dan Haren, to the point where he may not make his next scheduled turn on Wednesday. Haren came out of his Friday start a little stiff, and though Mike Scioscia said the pain is “not connected” to the lower-back stiffness that landed him on the DL in early July (it’s a little higher), he may be pushed back at least a day or two, with Garrett Richards or Jerome Williams (both currently out of the rotation) taking his place. More should be on the site soon.
- Mark Trumbo is out of the lineup with upper back spasms, suffered while taking batting practice on Sunday. He indicated that the move is mostly precautionary and should be available if needed.
- Some good news: Trout is back, and says he feels perfectly fine after being scratched from Sunday’s lineup with a left knee contusion.
- Erick Aybar took some ground balls and hit in the cage pregame. Scioscia says he could be ready to return for the series against the Athletics that begins early next week.
Some Angels.com links from Sunday …
- Zack Greinke as advertised, but offense can’t come through
- Zack every bit as good as Angels expected
- Notebook, on Trout getting scratched, the seven-man rotation, Jordan Walden‘s status, the pursuit of Brandon League and other stuff
- Cory Aldridge blasts three homers for Salt Lake
Some AL West links …
- Moreland coming off the DL to start vs. Angels
- A’s acquire catcher George Kottaras from Brewers
- Mariners sweep Royals
And the Dolphins will look to pass more in the red zone this season.