Game 80: Angels-Indians …
Pitching: RH Jered Weaver (8-1, 2.31 ERA)
Pitching: Ubaldo Jimenez (7-6, 4.69 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Mike Trout was a late scratch from the top of the Angels’ lineup. The 20-year-old outfielder jammed his right thumb while sliding into second base with a leadoff double in Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays and still felt some soreness while taking BP earlier today. No X-rays scheduled as of now. He’s listed day-to-day.
- Jerome Williams had a rough outing in Triple-A on Sunday night, giving up six runs (five earned) on eight hits in two-plus innings. He exited after suffering what Mike Scioscia called a soft-tissue contusion in his right forearm. It felt better after icing it, and he’s slated to pitch again Friday.
- Scioscia on Jordan Walden, who gave up a three-run homer in mop-up duty in Sunday’s ninth inning, and has given up a run in back-to-back outings: “The night where he gave up the one run [on Friday], he was throwing the ball very well … His stuff’s there, and the big picture, if you look at his last 10 outings, his stuff was really good. He’s thrown some better breaking balls. The breaking ball he threw to [Jose] Bautista was fantastic, at the end [on Sunday]. Commanding the ball was something that he had some trouble with yesterday, but overall, I think, he’s made a lot of strides, and yesterday was just a little setback.”
- Chris Iannetta (right forearm strain) threw from 75-80 feet and felt good; he continues to progress towards a rehab outing.
Some Angels.com links from Sunday …
- Angels persevere to earn split of Blue Jays
- Ernesto Frieri chosen as Final Vote candidate
- Trout, Trumbo, Weaver, C.J. Wilson going to the All-Star Game
- Trumbo ready to take his hacks at the Home Run Derby
- Scioscia ejected after disputed call
- Preview, on Weaver-Ubaldo matchup
Some AL West links …
- Yu Darvish also a Final Vote contender (that’s some stiff competition for Frieri)
- All-Star again, Felix Hernandez has sights on playing this year
- Travis Blackley outduels Darvish
And Ronny Turiaf opted out of his contract with the Heat. I’ll miss his towel-waiving.