Game 74: Orioles-Angels …
Welcome to Baltimore, the start of a nine-game road trip and a swing that will see the Angels play 16 of their next 20 on the road. (I know, because I’ll be covering all of them.) …
Pitching: LH C.J. Wilson (8-4, 2.44 ERA)
Pitching: LH Brian Matusz (5-8, 5.00 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards happens to be about a two-hour trek from the small town of Millville, N.J., where Trout grew up. And pretty much the entire town is here. There are about 10 reporters here to write stories on Trout’s surge, and one of them told me there will be like 1,000 people — including his parents and high school coaches — here to see him play.
- Oh, and in case you hadn’t noticed, Trout now leads the AL in batting average at .338, with Paul Konerko sliding down to second at .337.
- Former Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher was hired by his former team, the Dodgers, to be a special assistant to GM Ned Colletti.
- Jerome Williams (asthma) threw a 51-pitch simulated game and felt good. He could get in a rehab game at some point this week, and it’s looking like he’ll be ready to be activated off the DL when eligible, on July 4.
Some Angels.com links from Monday …
- Lyle Spencer: Fresh faces taking Halos to new heights
- Without fans’ help, Pujols won’t be an All-Star
- Preview, on the Wilson-Matusz matchup
Some AL West links …
- Forearm strain lands Colby Lewis on the DL
- Dustin Ackley fighting his way through struggles
- Tommy Milone hurls seven scoreless
And The Big 3 was on Oprah.