Game 70: Giants-Angels …
Jered Weaver is activated off the DL today, looking to pick up right where he left off and give the Angels eight series wins over their last nine …
Pitching: RH Ryan Vogelsong (6-2, 2.29 ERA)
Pitching: RH Weaver (6-1, 2.61 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Jerome Williams was placed on the DL on Wednesday, with the breathing problems that caused him to go to the hospital after his Monday night start. With that, the Angels opened a spot on the roster for Weaver. Williams passed out in the Angels clubhouse after pitching against the Giants, likely due to an asthma attack. He’ll take it easy for now, and there’s no timeline for his return. More on the site soon.
- With Williams on the DL, Ervin Santana will start Saturday against the Dodgers and the young Garrett Richards will go Sunday. Dan Haren is the Friday starter.
- The Blue Jays claimed reliever David Pauley off waivers from the Angels.
- Scioscia was asked about the recent pine tar scandal between the Rays and Nationals. Scoiscia didn’t really have a problem with Davey Johnson bringing it up — which his former coach, Joe Maddon, took exception to — but said using pine tar is hardly an advantage for a pitcher. “Pine tar’s an accepted practice in baseball. And I don’t think hitters have much of an issue with it, especially when it’s cold or guys are really sweaty or it’s wet. It doesn’t change the flight of the ball, it’s in the rules, and obviously you have to abide by what’s in the rules. It’s like getting pulled over for going 66 mph in a 65 mph zone.”
Angels.com links from Tuesday …
- Offense finally busts out in support of shaky C.J. Wilson
- Notebook, on Williams, Richards’ mindset, Trumbo’s numbers and other stuff
- Preview, on Weaver’s return to the mound
- Question of the Day, on All-Star worthy Angels
Some AL West links …
- Roy Oswalt will make his Rangers debut on Friday
- The A’s expect to lose Bartolo Colon to the DL
- Charlie Furbush moving up Mariners’ bullpen ladder
And the Miami Heat are ONE WIN AWAY from championship glory.