Game 62: Angels-Dodgers …
OK, at the start of the year, how many of you had the Dodgers sporting the better record by the time these two kicked off their annual Freeway Series? Come on, be honest. The Angels, at least, have been looking a lot more like the team many expected them to be, coming off a three-game sweep of the Rockies, winning nine straight road games and sporting a Major League-best 14-4 record since May 22. The Dodgers just completed a 7-3 road trip — though they got no-hit by the Mariners in one of those games — and own baseball’s best record despite the absence of superstar Matt Kemp.
Here are the lineups for their first meeting at Dodger Stadium …
Some pregame notes …
- The Angels signed 11 of their Draft picks, including third-round right-handed reliever R.J. Alvarez.
- Trout, Torii were named AL Co-Players of the Week.
- Pujols is fifth in All-Star Game voting at first base, with no other Angels really in the running to start.
- Kendrys Morales is expected to start at first base tomorrow.
- Jered Weaver threw off the front part of the mound today. If he feels fine tomorrow, he’ll have a full bullpen. After that, he could be one bullpen and one sim game away from returning.
- Chris Iannetta, who had a setback a couple days ago with his forearm, is back doing baseball activities now. He’s expected to get back into games in the middle of the week, with manager Mike Scioscia thinking he’ll need four or five rehab games behind the plate before being activated.
- Bobby Wilson (concussion) has been cleared for baseball activities and hopes to be back over the weekend.
Some Angels links from Sunday …
- Trout, Trumbo power Angels to sweep
- Notebook, on (not) reeling in Trout, Bourjos’ status and riding the momentum
- Richards look to keep making case for rotation
Some AL West links …
- Alexi Ogando‘s status unknown following MRI
- Brandon League could return to the Mariners’ closers role
- Athletics Inbox, on the closer situation and a bunch of other stuff
And in case you hadn’t heard … The Heat are in the NBA Finals!!! (sorry)