Game 53: Rangers-Angels …
May is over for the Angels. It finished 18-11, just one win shy of the club record for that month, and June fittingly begins with a series against the team they’re chasing …
Pitching: RH Colby Lewis (4-3, 3.58 ERA)
Pitching: RH Jerome Williams (5-2, 3.81 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Rangers president Nolan Ryan, interestingly enough, will throw out the first pitch tonight and get a ring for being in the Angels Hall of Fame. “He’s earned that right,” manager Mike Scioscia said. “He was important, with what he did in the early years of this Angels organization and anything you want to talk about.”
- Ernesto Frieri is the first pitcher in Major League history to make 12 consecutive hit-less appearances to begin his tenure with a particular team, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Since at least 1921, Frieri is the first Major League pitcher with 25-plus strikeouts and no earned runs in his first 12-plus innings with a new club, according to Stats LLC. Frieri, Jordan Walden and Scott Downs have combined to give up just one earned run over their last 33 innings (good for a 0.27 ERA).
- Williams is 7-0 with a 1.74 ERA in seven career starts at Angel Stadium.
- The Angels have dropped six of their last seven to the Rangers, including 10 of the last 13 games in Texas. From 2005-08, the Angels held a 48-28 edge over Texas. From 2009-12, the Rangers lead the series 35-25.
- Pujols’ 24 RBIs in May ranked second in the AL only to Hamilton (32).
Some Angels links from the Thursday off-day …
- Angels have been revitalized by Trout
- Jerry Dipoto answers questions about the season’s first two months
- A look at where the Angels stand in the upcoming Draft
- Optimism abounds as Angels show potential
Some AL West links …
- Roy Oswalt excited to be with Rangers
- Eric Wedge puts Ichiro Suzuki back at leadoff spot
- A’s activate Yoenis Cespedes from disabled list
And the drama resumes in Boston tonight.