Game 52: Yankees-Angels …
Pitching: RH Ivan Nova (5-2, 5.46 ERA)
Pitching: Ervin Santana (2-6, 4.45 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Looks like it’ll be Dan Haren pitching the series finale against the Rangers on Sunday, though that’s not official yet. He’d be on normal rest then. That would mean the matchups for Rangers-Angels will be: Jerome Williams vs. Colby Lewis, C.J. Wilson vs. Yu Darvish (yep) and Haren vs. Matt Harrison. Garrett Richards will be available out of the bullpen for the next couple days, but he pretty much has to start Monday or Tuesday so guys aren’t pitching on short rest.
- Day off for Torii Hunter, who went 1-for-3 in his first game back on Tuesday and admitted he got gassed pretty early. Mike Scioscia, on how he thinks he looked: “He ran well down the line, looked good in right field, and he came out of it OK. Hopefully he’s getting back into his swing. … Just ease him back in take today off, take tomorrow off.”
- Scioscia with some strong words about Jordan Walden, who has given up one run (with six walks and 12 strikeouts) in 12 1/3 innings since being demoted from closer: “He’s best suited long-term to be a Major League closer on a championship-caliber club and that’s what I think he’ll eventually get to.”
- The Angels are 18-10 in May (second only to the Marlins). If they win tonight, they will match the club record for wins in May, done in 2002 (19-7).
- Cool stat: Angels batting average from the leadoff spot before Trout’s callup — .250; since Trout’s callup — .364.
- Ernesto Frieri is the first pitcher in Major League history to make 12 consecutive appearances without allowing a hit to begin his tenure with a team, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Per Stats LLC … since at least 1921, he’s the first pitcher with 25-plus strikeouts and no earned runs in the first 12-plus innings with a new club.
Some Angels links from Tuesday …
- Hunter on the Angels now and when he left: “It’s way different”
- Bloom: Pujols’ torrid May making skeptics look silly
- Back ailment forces Jered Weaver to the disabled list
- Hunter activated from restricted list
- Richards feels more prepared in return to Halos
- Angels look for series sweep
Some AL West links …
- Justice: Roy Oswalt fits nicely with Angels
- Ichiro Suzuki given first day off of season
- A’s have now lost as many games in a row as the Angels have won
And with Chris Bosh out, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James will need to continue to step up.