Game 47: Angels-Mariners …
It’s only a three-game winning streak, and they’re still 6 1/2 games back in the AL West, but the baseball world is suddenly talking about an Angels resurgence and wondering if they’ll make the playoffs. That was our Question of the Day on MLB.com, and it was a topic grazed by the folks at ESPN plenty today …
Pitching: RH Ervin Santana (2-6, 4.22 ERA)
Pitcing: RH Blake Beavan (2-4, 4.46 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Still no exact return date for Torii Hunter. My prediction is that he comes back at some point in the Monday-Wednesday Yankees series, but call that an educated guess.
- LaTroy Hawkins (pinkie) threw off a mound for the first time today. Mike Scioscia isn’t sure if he’ll need to go on a rehab assignment once he’s ready.
- Scioscia, on Pujols: “I think he feels a little more comfortable about how he feels in the batter’s box. Hopefully that’s going to lead to some of the things we saw last night. I like the way he’s playing baseball. Just a little thing like the stolen base or the way he’s playing defense. I think he’s getting more involved in that end of it, and hopefully he’ll just getting into that groove on the field.”
- Angels pitchers have allowed just one run in their last 33 innings. The starting staff hasn’t allowed more than three earned runs in nine of its last 10 game; over their last seven games, the staff has a 1.80 ERA. The bullpen’s ERA over the last 10 games: 0.89.
- Ernesto Frieri‘s 19 strikeouts in his first 8 2/3 innings with the Angels sets a new team record. Jordan Walden and Frankie Rodriguez each had 17 in that span, but Frankie gave up six hits and Walden gave up seven. Frieri hasn’t given up any.
- Since his call-up on April 28, Trout ranks in the Top 5 among Major League rookies in batting average (.312; 2nd), runs (17; T-1st), doubles (6; T-4th), homers (4; T-3rd), RBI (12; 3rd), OBP (.377; 2nd) and slugging (.527; 2nd).
- Outfielder Nate McLouth was DFA’d by the Pirates today, but I’m told there isn’t any real interest on the Angels end.
- Reliever David Pauley cleared waivers and has been reassigned to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Angels links from Thursday …
- Milestone night in 3rd straight win, as Pujols hits No. 450 and Dan Haren gets K No. 1,500
- Notebook, on the functionality of the back end of the ‘pen, Trout’s return to Safeco & Andrew Romine‘s return
- Haren makes Angels history
- Is Pujols finally ‘locked in’?
- Class A player hits for cycle
- Preview, on Santana-Beavan matchup
Some AL West links …
- Rangers Inbox, on Feliz’s status and other stuff
- Brandon Inge hoping for a Monday return
- Blasphemy! Dustin Ackley not playing on his bobblehead night (perhaps he should console with Bourjos)
And, thanks to another dominant performance by their dynamic duo, the Heat have advanced to the ECF’s.