Game 40: Angels-Padres …
Greetings from gorgeous San Diego and massive PETCO Park, site of the Angels’ first Interleague game of the year …
Some pregame notes …
- The Angels are just going to have to deal with the fact they won’t have Kendrys Morales‘ bat in the lineup during these road Interleague games … or are they? Pujols told Mike Scioscia recently about playing third base, which he did for seven games last year and spent a good portion of his first two big league seasons at. Scioscia said, “We’re a long way off,” from seeing Albert at 3B and it won’t happen this weekend. But it could happen during that six-game stretch from June 8-13, when the Angels play in Colorado and Arizona. That would allow Scioscia to get Pujols, Morales and Trumbo in the same lineup. … Who needs defense?
- Back to Albert. It’s not just that he’s hit home runs the last couple of days. It’s the way he’s hit those home runs that make you think he might — just might — be starting to turn it around. The one off Gavin Floyd saw him keep his hands in on a fastball and drive it to left-center field. The one off Chris Sale was on a high fastball that he stayed back on and drove right up the middle. “The way he puts it,” Scioscia said, “he feels really comfortable about the process and where he’s going to end up. He says that when he gets there, you’ll see a big difference.”
- Ernesto Frieri is right back where it all started, just two weeks after being acquired for infielder Alexi Amarista. In case you hadn’t noticed, Frieri hasn’t allowed a hit and has struck out 10 batters — 10! — in his first 4 2/3 innings with the Angels. Amarista is playing second base and will stay there now that Orlando Hudson has been released.
Some Angels links from Thursday …
- C.J. Wilson can’t find strike zone, defense can’t find fly balls, offense can’t find firepower — Halos give one away to White Sox
- Torii Hunter won’t return until the situation surrounding his son is resolved
- Notebook, on the spark Trout has given the Angels and the production Izturis and Alberto Callaspo are providing in the 2 spot
- Justice: Dismissing coaches never easy
Some AL West links …
- Nolan Ryan expects Josh Hamilton to test free agency
- Castrovince: M’s offense taking baby steps
- High school transition helped Jarrod Parker reach bigs
And things are not looking good for my Heat right now.