Game 31: Angels-Twins …
It didn’t look very promising earlier, but the skies have opened up, the rain is gone and the field is dry. Looks like we’ll get this game in no problem (fingers crossed) …
Pitching: RH Dan Haren (1-2, 3.43 ERA)
Pitching: LH Scott Diamond
Some pregame notes …
- Scott Downs says he feels “very lucky,” after finding out that he only has a bruise in the back of his left knee and won’t have to go on the disabled list. Mike Scioscia said he could be available — as his closer — today or tomorrow. Huge sigh of relief for a bullpen that came in with the second-highest ERA in baseball.
- The rotation for the Texas series is official, with C.J. Wilson getting the start in the opener on Friday, opposite Yu Darvish — the man the Rangers essentially chose to spend their money on instead. The staff had been throwing so well collectively (2.26 ERA in the last 17 games) that he didn’t want to change anything. Jerome Williams and Jered Weaver will follow.
- Jered Weaver got his wish. He got to do David Letterman‘s Top 10 today. He was up here near the press box for about 30 minutes taping it. The subject was: “Top 10 Signs You’ll Never Throw A No-Hitter.” No. 1 was supposed to be: Because you play for the New York Mets.” But they changed it. For a sneak peek, click here.
- Kendrys Morales is fine health-wise, by the way. Not in the lineup for a second straight day due to back-to-back opposing lefty starters. I’ll have more on that later.
Some Angels links from Monday …
- Not as easy as the first time, but Weaver still stymies the Twins
- LaTroy Hawkins placed on DL; Downs still recovering
- Jordan Walden, Ernesto Frieri to close until Downs returns
- Angels announce Honorary Bat Girl
- Haren ready to face the Twins
Some AL West links …
And the Heat are kicking themselves for not closing out the Knicks in four. They should.