Game 24: Twins-Angels …
Pitching: LH Francisco Liriano (0-3, 11.02 ERA)
Pitching: RH Jerome Williams (1-1, 5.51 ERA
Some pregame notes …
- One day after Pujols was evidently peeved details of his involvement in a hitters’ meeting got out, he and Mickey Hatcher have moved on.
- Peter Bourjos has started just one of the last five games and it may not get any better with Trout playing center field every day. When asked if a demotion to Triple-A has been discussed, manager Mike Scioscia said: “I think there’s a huge role for Peter on our club. If it’s not playing seven days a week, there’s going to be playing time for him here, and he definitely makes our team deeper. We’ll see how it progresses. Right now we want him to fit into our team and hopefully make us stronger.”
- Scott Downs is available today after converting a four-out save last night.
- As for what the dynamic between Downs and Jordan Walden is in the ninth right now, Scioscia said: “The bottom line is we need arms in the back end of our ‘pen holding leads, and it has to be more than Scott Downs. So, whether Jordan goes back to being closer, which his stuff plays really well in the closer’s role, or if Scott Downs just takes off and runs with it and becomes a closer and somebody like Jordan Walden becomes a setup [man], we need depth at the back end of our bullpen.” Scioscia didn’t dismiss the possibility of Downs remaining as closer, but said the ideal situation is for Walden to be closer and Downs to be able to match up in the seventh and eighth.
- Kendrick has now been out of the 2 spot for back-to-back games, and it appears it’ll stay that way for a while. “I think right now, hitting in the 6 hole is really good for him because he’s going to get RBI opportunities,” Scioscia said.
Some Angels links from Monday …
- Hunter, Downs help seal win
- Pujols shrugs off homerless April
- Walden focused on improving slider
- Trout ignoring pressure to pick up Angels
- Jorge Cantu opts out of contract, becomes free agent
- Angels seek offense against struggling Liriano
Some AL West links …
- The Rangers’ Adrian Beltre and Josh Hamilton missed the game versus the Jays today
- Mike Carp rejoined the Mariners
- Jemile Weeks is struggling offensively for the A’s
And Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire will miss at least Game 3 against the Heat after punching a fire extinguisher.