Game 18: Angels-Rays …
Pitching: LH C.J. Wilson (2-1, 2.37 ERA)
Pitching: RH Jeremy Hellickson (2-0, 3.26 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia called talk of Mike Trout coming up “premature,” but added: “Obviously when you’re playing that well, you tend to push a door open for yourself.” Here’s more from the skipper (with more on the site later): “Obviously if stuff continues to be stagnant, you’re going to put more on weight on some of those decisions. But right now, I think we’re trying to find an identity to this team, and we’re just not quite there yet.”
- Catching prospect Hank Conger is on the 10-day Minor League disabled list with what the club believes is a non-serious elbow injury. An MRI revealed no structural damage, so for now he’ll just rest it. John Hayes, who the Angels just signed to a Minor League deal, will split the Triple-A Salt Lake catching duties with Robinzon Diaz until Conger returns.
- Izturis’ stolen base on Tuesday was the Angels’ first since April 15, and the Angels have just nine on the year (tied for 22nd in the Majors). “Sometimes the matchups aren’t there,” Scioscia said. “It’s nothing you can really force. But if the matchups are there, you’re going to try to take advantage of them. I think we have team speed, which we can try to create in some situations. … I think we’re going to steal our share of bases.”
- Can Pujols’ struggles just be a matter of not being used to the guys he’s facing? Here’s a look.
Some links from Tuesday …
- Ervin Santana gives up four homers; Angels get none against David Price
- Hal Bodley: Pujols sees bright side of early struggles
- Pujols still lagging at the plate, but not the only one
- Mark Trumbo mans right field for fifth position of ’12
- Izturis’ hot bat leading to more opportunities
- Your Question of the Day, on Morales
Some AL West links …
- In case you missed it, Yu Darvish pitched pretty darn well last night
- Former Angels reliever Rich Thompson has already been DFA’d by the A’s
- The Mariners had 15 hits in their latest victory
And the Heat lost to the Celtics, but everyone’s just resting for the playoffs right now.