Game 14: Orioles-Angels …
Pitching: LH Brian Matusz (0-2, 8.38 ERA)
Pitching: RH Jerome Williams (0-1, 16.87 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- This you see above you is lineup No. 12 for the Angels and manager Mike Scioscia. It’s Trumbo’s first start of the season in the outfield, Peter Bourjos‘ (.206 BA) second day off in the last three days and the lowest Kendrys Morales (0-for-8 vs. LHs) has hit in the lineup since 2009.
- Scioscia, on the club’s disappointing start: “Would we rather have a better record? Absolutely at this point. You try to go out there and win every game, but I think there’s a mild frustration with some guys because they know we wanted to get off to a good start and we’re not there right now. The talent in this team is just real. And it’ll come to the forefront. And when that starts to happen, I think you’ll see a lot of guys relax and get into their game.”
- Trumbo, in case you hadn’t noticed, hasn’t started a game at third base since April 13. Trumbo and Scioscia both admitted he’s more comfortable in the corner outfield right now, but Scioscia re-emphasized: “He’s going to play third base. But we want him in there more than maybe what you would project the day starting at third base would be for the season, so he’s going to have to play osme corner outfield, some third bae and also DH.”
- Still no save chance for Jordan Walden, as the Angels are the only Major League team without a save.
- All-Star Game balloting has begun.
Some links from Thursday …
- Shaky defense dooms C.J. Wilson, Halos in finale
- Pujols not caught up in homer drought
- Erick Aybar, Angels more than content with extension
- Jerry Dipoto: Long-term deals give Halos solid core
- Mike Trout generating buzz with hot start in Minors
- Williams looks to rebound from poor debut
Some AL West links …
- The Rangers and Tigers were rained out Friday, so Matt Harrison will have to wait again
- The A’s (remember them?) win three straight vs. Angels
- Ichiro Suzuki is producing from the 3 spot
And the Miami Heat won a chippy game over the Chicago Bulls.