Game 12: Athletics-Angels …
Pitching: RH Bartolo Colon (2-1, 3.72 ERA)
Pitching: RH Ervin Santana (0-2, 7.71 ERA)
Some pregame notes …
- The Angels and Erick Aybar have come to terms on a four-year extension
- Mark Trumbo (.375 BA, 2 HRs) is out of the lineup today because he’s sick. The Angels will face back-to-back lefty starters in the next two days, so he’ll likely be in the lineup then. But he’s been out of it the last three days.
- Bobby Cassevah (shoulder inflammation) will get in back-to-back rehab games at Class A on Friday and Saturday. If that goes well, he could be activated from the disabled list.
- This is Abreu’s first start at the leadoff spot since Aug. 28, 2010. In 49 career starts there, he has batted .286 with nine homers.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia, on why Kevin Jepsen isn’t translating his electric stuff to on-field success: “I think it’s repeating a pitch. There’s no doubt his stuff is closer stuff, but you have to be able to repeat the delivery. He’s got the power two-seamer, the power four-seamer – he’s got to be able to throw it in a descent zone more often than he does.”
Some links from Tuesday …
- Angels’ bullpen can’t seal first win for Dan Haren
- Out of lineup, Trumbo plugs away at third base
- David Carpenter eager to make impression on Halos
- Angels keep Kendrys in mind for time at first base
- History on Santana’s side in matchup with A’s
Some AL West links …
- Michael Young is out of the lineup due to some lower-back stiffness
- Mariners come up short in offensive showcase
- Collin Cowgill‘s demotion among a flurry of A’s moves
And with the playoffs looming, resting is a priority for the Heat’s stars.