Game 7: Angels-Yankees …
SP: RH Ervin Santana (0-1, 7.94 ERA)
SP: RH Hiroki Kuroda (0-1, 6.35 ERA)
Some notes from this morning …
- Scott Downs (right ankle) will be avoiding a trip to the DL — at least for now. No structural or ligament damage in the ankle, but he’s day to day and my guess is he won’t pitch this weekend. He definitely won’t pitch today.
- RHP David Carpenter was called up in order to add some depth to the bullpen, with utility man Alexi Amarista being sent down. LHP Brad Mills was here in case Downs had to go on the DL, and he’ll stick around for the weekend just in case he has a setback.
- Jerry Dipoto said he’ll continue to search “under every rock” for bullpen help, but added: “There’s not a surplus of available, high-quality Major League relievers. We have a variety of arms in our ‘pens that we feel comfortable in. We have find the right roles for those guys.”
- Mike Scioscia, on Trumbo’s confidence at third base: “He’s a pretty tough kid, but there’s always confidence levels in every player that you have to monitor. I think on the defensive side, Mark is confident he can make the plays, but to translate into him relaxing and using his athleticism, I think it’s going to take a couple of plays on the field that he makes and says, ‘Hey, I’m here.'”
- Pujols addressed the NY media via a morning press conference. Asked about whether he’s thinking too much at the plate, Pujols said: ” “We’re human. I’m human. Sometimes that’s going to happen no matter how good you prepare yourself. Sometimes, we want to press a little bit and try to do too much.
Some Angels links from Thursday …
- Angels let six-run lead vs. Twins slip away
- X-rays negative on Downs’ ankle
- Pujols “all business” about his trip to NY
- Early struggles not a concern for Pujols
- Jerome Williams officially named fifth starter
- Santana set to take ball in Yanks home opener
Some AL West links …
- Rangers manager Ron Washington not worried about Joe Nathan
- Mariners can’t pull off comeback vs. Texas
- Thriving Josh Reddick buying into new way of hitting
And the Heat suffered another heart-breaking road loss — this one to the Bulls in OT.