Game 6: Angels-Twins …
Some notes from this morning …
- This is a scheduled day off for Kendrys Morales. He’ll probably play all three games in New York.
- Mike Scioscia, on giving some at-bats to Izturis, who’s finally making his first start on Thursday: “At the beginning, the balance that I think is going to be difficult is trying to get guys to play, but also giving guys that you know are going to be your core players time to get chemistry. We’re getting Erick [Aybar] off today, we’ll probably give Howie [Kendrick] a day off in New York. … Some guys obviously haven’t hit stride in the box. But you also can’t let your bench depth evaporate. And that’s why it’s important for Izzy to get in there and it’s important for a lot of guys to stay close to playing. … You’re not going to need the depth in your roster, but you still want to keep in touch with it to keep guys fresh.”
- Scioscia on Pujols, who comes in batting .222 with no homers (more on him later): “He’s been on a lot of pitches. Right now it’s just trying to get comfortable with some new environments of hitting in our ballpark, and then just the stadium here in Minnesota, get used to the hitting backgrounds, get used to the pitchers in our league. But he will find it, that’s for sure.”
- A couple of unsurprising developments: Jerome Williams was officially named the fifth starter, and the roster spot will be created by sending down a position player (his name is Alexi Amarista).
Some links from Wednesday …
- Bourjos’ mad dash gives way to maddening defeat
- Williams one (very small) hurdle away from Sunday start
- Michael Kohn set for Tommy John
- Morales: Ozzie Guillen comments ‘a mistake’
- Prospect Austin Wood hurls five scoreless
- Haren, Liriano eye turnarounds
Some AL West links …
- New Rangers closer Joe Nathan stumbles as Mariners win
- Jason Vargas seeks series split vs. Rangers
- A’s stun Royals in 12
Big game coming up against the Bulls. Heat won’t panic.