Game 31: Dodgers-Angels …
SP: RH Jamey Wright
SP: RH Dan Haren
Some notes from this morning …
- Big day for the Angels fans who decide to make it out to The Big A tonight. It’ll be their first time seeing Morales since that fateful May 29, 2010, game that saw him suffer a broken left ankle on a walk-off grand slam. And, of course, it’ll be their first time ever watching Pujols in an Angels uniform. Pujols, on the pressure of living up to his new contract: “I’ve been feeling pressure for 12 1/2 years, 13 years since being a professional. To tell you the truth, there’s [three] times that I feel pressure — my first at-bat in Spring Training, my first at-bat Opening Day and first at-bat in the playoffs. The rest is just baseball.”
- No more Gatorade at the Angel Stadium clubhouses and dugouts. It’s all — from the coolers to the cups to the towels — “Oh Yeah!”, a nutritional company Pujols is a major spokesman for.
- Big night for bullpen sages LaTroy Hawkins (Kansas State fan because his godson, Elijah Johnson, plays for the team) and Scott Downs (who played at the University of Kentucky). Both are rocking their gear, neither is scheduled to pitch today and both are hoping they can watch a little bit of the action from the clubhouse TVs.
- Mike Scioscia, on the decision to slot C.J. Wilson as the No. 4 starter (though that hasn’t been officially declared yet): “If you have an abundance of lefties, you might want to break it up. You’re certainly breaking up length with a guy who’s not going to get deep enough, but that’s definitely not the issue we’re dealing with here. Maybe the No. 5 guy, if we have a guy who doesn’t have a lot of length we would have length surrounding him. The way this was set up is really the versatility to move who ever’s in the fourth spot forward if we had to, and it gave us a way to get a good look at the start of the season. Once the season starts, there’s no 1, 2, 3 and 4. We have four guys who are front-end-of-the-rotation guys, so that’s the way we’re going to look at it.”
Some links from Sunday …
- With Pujols and C.J., Angels are aiming high in 2012
- Freeway Series signals dawn of new season
- Kendrys’ recovery nears long-sought end
- Jered Weaver awaits Opening Day fate
- Fifth starter between Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams continues
- Blog post on the potential dilemma between the two final roster decisions
- Weaver endures rough ending to spring slate
Some AL West links …
- The Rangers have finalized their bench
- Weary A’s adjusting to exhibitions after Japan trip
- Scary moment for the Mariners, as Jesus Montero was drilled in the head
And the Miami Heat’s road struggles continue. On Sunday, they got torched by the Celtics at The Garden.