Game 18: Angels-Royals …
Very interesting lineup in many ways. Albert Pujols, for one, will be playing in his third straight road Spring Training game (more on that later), Maicer Izturis is back after not playing since March 6 because of soreness in his legs, Mike Trout will appear in his first Cactus League game as the designated hitter and Kendrys Morales — who was scheduled to play Tuesday — will not play due to soreness in his right calf.
Jordan Walden and Rich Thompson will also pitch.
Aaron Crow and Jonathan Broxton also pitching.
Some notes from this morning …
- More info on the statuses of Morales and Trout can be found right here.
- Mike Scioscia got some really good reports on Trumbo’s outing at third base at an A ball game on Monday. He fielded a slow roller — his greatest nemesis in the transition — and made a few backhand plays, and Scioscia is liking what he has seen (and heard). “There’s no doubt the skill set is there,” Scioscia said. “It’s a matter of really getting him as much experience as we can from the start of the season to evaluate where he is and what we can expect.”
- It turns out Yu Darvish will not face the Angels this spring. He’ll instead pitch in an intrasquad game at the Rangers facility on Sunday, instead of traveling to Tempe to face his new division rivals. It’s partly because the Rangers don’t want AL West teams to get a good look at him just yet, and also — as Scioscia pointed out — because it’s easier for teams to make sure pitchers get their needed workload in through those types of games.
- Chris Iannetta, nursing some soreness in his throwing elbow after getting hit by a foul ball there last week, did some throws to second base at the Angels complex on Tuesday.
- Some Angels will play in a 10-inning Triple-A game during the off day on Wednesday. Garrett Richards will start, Brad Mills will also pitch, and Iannetta, Andrew Romine, Alexi Amarista, Trout and Bobby Wilson will play.
Some links from Monday …
- Bobby Abreu says he wants to play three more years
- Former Angel Mike Napoli was irked at CJ’s Twitter prank
- Scioscia doesn’t expect Morales to lose his speed
- Ervin Santana shows no ill effects from line drive
- Jeremy Moore is leaning towards having hip surgery
- Howie Kendrick goes deep, Santana is superb, but Angels lose in walk-off fashion
Some AL West links …
- Darvish threw an uneventful four innings in his third start
- The Mariners released veteran lefty Hong-Chih Kuo
- Yoenis Cespedes will start the season in CF when the A’s open up in Japan
And the Dolphins signed — not Peyton Manning, not Alex Smith, not even Matt Flynn — but David Garrard to be their starting QB. Meh.