Game 17: Angels-Rockies …
Also pitching: LaTroy Hawkins, Jason Isringhausen, Kevin Jepsen, Francisco Rodriguez
Also pitching: Esmil Rogers, Josh Roenicke, Carlos Torres, Zach Putnam
Some notes from Mike Scioscia‘s morning meeting with reporters …
- Jeremy Moore‘s hip hasn’t recovered to the level he expected, and now the likely scenario is surgery that should put him out 3-5 months — Scioscia said nothing has been decided yet. I’ll have more on that soon.
- Mike Trout (virus/shoulder tendinitis), Kendrys Morales (left ankle) and Maicer Izturis (right leg) will play in a Minor League game while the team is in Salt River Fields today. Mark Trumbo will do defense only at the Angels’ facility.
- Here’s what Scioscia said about how Morales looked facing velocity for the first time a few days ago: “He had no problem with velocity. I mean, he laid off some pitches that were close. I think there were some sliders under his swing that he laid off of. Right now, with pitchers trying to get their command fine-tuned, as far as the Major League pitchers, guys are going to be hitting their spots more, and I think that’s what Kendrys needs. He’s going to have probably 13, 14 at-bats under his belt from camp games and he’ll play with us tomorrow. There’s only so much you’re going to get from facing Minor League pitching. You have to face Major League pitching, and even in Spring Training, these guys in the back end of spring are really starting to fine tune some stuff. Just like a player who’s on rehab — rehab serves a purpose, but the only way to get acclimated to Major League pitching is to hit Major League pitching. So you can take 50 rehab at-bats, and there’s still things you’re going to have to work through at the Major League level. With Kendrys, right now, he’s swung the bat, has had no problem hitting from either side, seeing velocity. The next step is going to be getting into a Major League environment in a Spring Training game and going from there.”
- Jerome Williams (left hamstring) is expected to get off the mound mid-week, as he indicated Sunday.
- Bobby Cassevah (right shoulder) is expected to get into Cactus League games for the first time in the next couple days.
- The Angels have their scheduled off day on Wednesday, so some guys will be playing in a Minor League game at the Tempe Diablo Stadium complex. Garrett Richards will start, Brad Mills will probably pitch and some position players will see action.
Some Angels links from Sunday …
- Aybar, Jean Segura have Angels sitting pretty at short
- Injury update on Santana, Izturis and several others
- Kendrys, Trout working way back to lineup
- Dan Haren looked sharp again in his third spring start
- Game at Camelback Ranch called with a 1-1 tie
Some AL West links …
- It’s a new beginning for Neftali Feliz
- Heard of Tom Wilhemsen? He’ll probably be the Mariners’ setup man. And they like him.
- A’s reliever Joey Devine will start the season on the DL
And the Heat pulled away from the Magic late on Sunday to win their 13th straight at home. This time, Dwyane Wade was the closer.