Game 2: White Sox-Angels …
Gorgeous day here at Tempe Diablo Stadium, where the Angels are currently doing some rundown drills in preparation for their first home Spring Training game against The Pale Hose. Garrett Richards will be taking the bump for the Angels. He looked like an outsider for that fifth spot of the rotation, but now, with Jerome Williams out of action for a little while, his chances have greatly improved. Here’s what we can count on with Richards: He throws hard, he throws strikes, and he works fast. Today he’ll work really fast — just two innings for his spring debut.
White Sox (0-1)
Maicer Izturis SS
Alberto Callaspo 3B
Albert Pujols DH
Vernon Wells CF
Jorge Cantu 1B
Bobby Wilson C
Alexi Amarista 2B
Ryan Langerhans LF
Kole Calhoun RF
SP: RH Richards (others: Eric Hurley, Kevin Jepsen, Trevor Bell, Michael Kohn)
Pregame notes …
- Bobby Abreu was back in the Angels’ clubhouse and said he’s feeling better after suffering some flu-like symptoms. Manager Mike Scioscia expects him to be in the lineup on Wednesday.
- Sciosica on Richards: “There’s no doubt out of all the guys we’re talking about for our fifth spo,t I think his arm is the one that really jumps out at you.But it takes more than that to get Major League hitters out. Hopefully Garrett has moved in that direction.
- Richards will either start in the Majors or start in the Minors. He isn’t vying for a spot in the bullpen.
- Mark Trumbo and Kendrys Morales came out of their running drills fine Monday and remain on track.
Monday links …
- It’s only Spring Training, but Pujolsand C.J. Wilson sure got their Angels careers off on the right foot.
- Pujols wastes little time shedding nerves
- A recap of the Angels’ 9-1 win over the Athletics
- This is a big week to determine Morales’ game status
- Wells and his new approach saw some immediate results
- How much of yesterday’s lineup will we see on Opening Day?
- Blog post with some analysis of Game 1